After overhearing a conversation today at work in the kitchen that you shouldn’t eat brown bananas. I thought, really?!! These fad diets and snippets of information that are passed to others during morning breaks for coffee and biscuits are endlessly demoralising for some and tiring for others. I fall into the latter category and hence one of the reasons for my blog. Every time I hear another diet talk or someone paying £5 to visit a slimming club, I think, why has it some to this?….
And when someone recently asked me about my diet, I thought, i have a good diet….as my mum would say, everything in moderation. I am, I must admit no trained expert, but with a slim build and a healthy lifestyle I would like to share some of my personal guidelines…
- Eat as much fruit and vegetables as you can manage, more vegetables than fruit is better. Try to hit that 5 a day target
- Eat wholemeal and wholegrain where possible
- Eat seasonal and fresh ingredients, fresh and crunchy as hubsband would say
- Drink lots of water
- Limit your caffeine intake to 2 -3 cups a day
- Have a balance of fish, meat and vegetarian meals each week.
- Limit your portion size.
- Eat at least 3 meals a day, especially breakfast with 1 or 2 snacks in between
- Don’t drink too much alcohol or sugary drinks
- Have treat night once a week. Take turns to choose the treat… children included….
- Eat everything in moderation.